Monday 1 May 2017

Spring is in the Air! - by Claudia

Spring is in the air - well, let's hope it finally really is after the last weeks of snow and wind!
Hi, servus and welcome to a colourful spring make today! Claudia here and I am sharing a quick and easy mixed media board project that brings the colours of first spring blossoms and greens to your homes.



Sadly it was quite dark outside when I took the photographs...it is still cloudy and quite cold over here in Vienna and we even had a real snowstorm last week (of course on the exact day when I was having our car's winter tires changed) and the hills of the Vienna Woods were covered in snow! 

But the little robin under the Wild Rose branch is already singing its song - so spring must be on its way finally! 




Calico Craft Parts used:



As always when I want to paint any craft parts in brighter colours I first dry brush them with a thin layer of white Gesso. 



Next I start adding layer after layer of acrylic paint until I am content with the look. As the DecoArt media fluid acrylic paints are highly pigmented and some are transparent while others are opaque the layers always add up to a look that has much more depth and interest as if I mixed the desired tones on my palette first.



After I had finished the robin and the rose branch I used the same tones for the mixed media panel background and randomly scraped these on with a palette knife. I let each layer dry before I added another and also went in with some additional scraped on white Gesso for more texture and depth.



The result was a quite "noisy" and vibrant background - which would have made the rose branch and robin almost being "swallowed" by it - so I toned everything down with white DecoArt media Antiquing Cream.


Then I placed the branch and bird on the mixed media board and (using a baby wipe) wiped some of the Antiquing Cream off in spots where the intense colours would not compete with them.


Once that was done I glued all the pieces onto the mixed media board using matte DecoArt Decou-Page. Some word stickers were added and blended in with a black aquarellable pencil and a fine detail brush.



Et voilá!



Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you have enjoyed my little spring inspiration! There are a lot of lovely spring MDF wood shapes to be found in the Calico Craft Parts store - so hop over and enjoy browsing their wide range of beautiful shapes!




You should also check out their Flora and Fauna and their bird wood shapes - I love them all!





Hugs and happy crafting!
Claudia
xxx





6 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful, spring make, Claudia. These colours and textures make my heart dance. I've been so enjoying the birdsong when I've been in my garden or out and about and this little robin looks about to burst into blissful song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thank you so much, Julie Ann! Mwah! XXX

      Delete
  2. Oh my, oh my, oh my..... first of all your background is just FABULOUS Claudia. WOW... what GORGEOUSNESS - the colors and texture - just STUNNING. And then you add that rose branch that you made more beautiful than cherry blossoms.... YES - it is just PERFECTLY BEAUTIFUL. That branch on top of that background - be still my heart. And then your DARLING bird was just the right 'pop'. SPRING has SPRUNG in your studio even in Vienna in a MAGNIFICENT way. Xj.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BIG HUG, Joi! Your comments always make my day! Mwah! XXXX :)))

      Delete
  3. What a lovely tag Claudia!!
    Spring beauty at it's finest")
    Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete