Thursday 7 December 2017

Countin' Numbers In My Head by Lesley

Howdy people.
I was doing maths homework with twin number one the other day, and she was explaining to me that although she enjoys it, she finds it very difficult as the numbers just swim around in her head and she can't get them onto paper. This was on my mind when i started to make this weeks piece....


I started out with a paper mache mask.....just the half variety one!
I primed it with gesso and then used blues and greens water reactive powder to create the background, leaving some of the white showing. Using a deep red and a gold ink, i flicked and dripped drops onto the mask.  I then sealed it with a semi gloss varnish as the colours would still move about if they came into contact with anything wet......and i am a messy cow!


I used heaps of the mini numbers, painting them with pearly pink ink. And then glued them randomly in place.


I then drizzled gloss onto the mask randomly and scattered teeny micro beads in various pink and gold shades.


Whilst this was drying, i secured lots of the numbers onto pink wire......this took ages! And then attached them to the back of the mask.



Right.......I'm off to do some more "numbers" with Iris. :)


Thanks for reading
L.xx

Ingredients used

Sheet of mini MDF Numbers

3 comments:

  1. I think I can relate to Iris on this one! Love your mask idea. It would look great as part of a party costume! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous piece Lesley. Love how you were inspired following Iris homework. Clever piece. Adore the numbers swimming around the head. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A true piece of art, Lesley! I know how Iris feels...still remember that very well, only that my numbers were not only swimming around in my head but also wrong. lol

    Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones! XXX

    ReplyDelete