Thursday 15 December 2016

Santa Is on His Way! by Jennie

Hello! Jennie here with you today and thank you for stopping by in this very busy time before Christmas!


Over the last few years I have made a number of vintage white Christmas projects which I bring out each year and display on the Victorian mantlepiece in our old Manse home here in Shetland. I had great fun going through all the wonderful Calico Craft Part Christmas embellishments and choosing just a few (very difficult!) to decorate this ATC cube.


I assembled the cube first and gave it a couple of coats of white gesso. I then added some brown acrylic paint around the edges to give a more vintage look once the DecoArt crackle paint was added.

I apologise that there are no further photographs of my process - we are now in the very depths of winter here with very short daylight hours and so it is very difficult to get any decent photographs!


Once the crackle had dried I added a winter tree scene around each of the sides of the cube. I have just dabbed white acrylic paint on each scene allowing some of the brown of the base colour to show through.


The Santa and Sleigh were first painted in white and then I added a very thin layer of DecoArt Crackle Paint. Again some of the brown base colour shows through quite naturally. But as you will get to know, this is an effect which I love!


I then had lots of fun adding bristle trees, white flowers, berries, bells and some paper curls to the top of the cube.


Once everything is stuck down firmly I like giving everything a light coat of gesso and then some gold paint very lightly here and there, especially around the edges of the flowers and the stamens.


I had also added white lace and a bow to the box and a Merry Christmas ticket which adds a bit of colour !


I think this will be my centrepiece on the mantle this year! 

As I won't be here again until after Christmas may I wish you all very happy 
and peaceful festive period.

Jennie x


Craft Parts Used:



9 comments:

  1. Stunning vintage yummy! I bet it looks amazing on your mantle piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful and beautifully wintry addition to your decorations. Your mantel-piece must look so beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. An absolutely lovely Christmas box, Jennie - this will be a wonderful addition to your winter white decorations.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennie, Such and absolutely beautiful decoration! So very magical!
    hugs,Jackie ")

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure this will be a star among your handmade Christmas decor. It is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is truly amazing and so charmingly spreading winter magic, Jennie! LOVE your beautiful Christmas decoration!!!!

    Claudia xx

    ReplyDelete